Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Something Simple That Made My Day

About a week ago I got a text from my husband.  He drops Kyle off at school in the morning.  The drop off place at school is in the lower parking lot, a little bit away from school.  The walk isn't bad at all, but on a rainy morning like it was this particular day, it seems a lot longer.

It takes a lot of effort (both on our part and on Kyle's part) to make sure that he has everything for school every day.  Things like homework, shoes, boots, snowpants, hats, gloves...the list goes on.  For the most part, we try to leave things at school so that way we don't have to worry about them.  But, sometimes things find a way back home and then we have to remember to send them back.  It doesn't sound like a big issue...but believe me, it is!  So, the one thing that we don't even bother sending, is an umbrella.  When it rains, they have indoor recess.  The only time he is outside on these rainy days is when my husband drops him off and I pick him up.  (The reason why he doesn't ride the bus is a separate story in itself)

So, back this particular rainy day...

My husband dropped him off down in the lower lot.  Poor little guy was going to have to walk all the way up in the rain.  Well, there was this girl who was headed up to school as well.  She had am umbrella.  She asked Kyle if he would like to share her umbrella.  So, they walked up to school together, sharing the umbrella.  This may not seem like a big deal, but to me it is so big.  It shows me that kids are caring.  It shows me that kids have compassion.  It shows me that there is hope for Kyle and his social relationships.  When I read the message from my husband, I cried a few tears.  Those were some of the happy tears that I have shed in this journey with Kyle.

1 comment: